Hey friends! I know summer feels like forever away, but swimsuit season will be here before you know it. Everyone wants to feel comfortable rocking their favorite bathing suit once the weather gets warm, so now is the time to start toning those abs so you can feel strong and confident lounging by the pool or catching some waves this summer! This is a workout that is easy to do and can be done anywhere since it requires no equipment. If you want to challenge yourself you could throw in a dumbbell or two, like I did with the Russian twists, or try it with a medicine ball. But even with no weight these exercises will leave your abs feeling the burn!
- Russian twists: Start in a seated position with knees bent and feet off the floor, holding arms in front of your body. Rotate arms (with or without weights) back and forth reaching towards the ground on each side of your body. Side to side is 1 rep.
- V-Sits: Start lying flat on the ground, then lift your legs and upper body off the ground and bring them in towards each other at the same time, ending in a V shape. Lower back down to finish the rep.
- Toe Touches: Lying on your back, lift both legs straight up in the air. Reach your hands up to touch your toes, bringing your shoulders off the ground. Rest shoulders back down to finish the rep.
- Opposite Toe Touches: Lie flat on your back with arms and legs out straight. Bring one leg up as high as you can and reach your opposite hand towards those toes. Return to starting position then do the same thing with your other leg and arm.
- Scissor kicks: Lie flat on your back with your arms at your sides or under your hips to support your lower back. Lift both legs up about 6 inches off the ground then bring them about 2 feet apart. Bring your legs back into the middle, crossing one over the other (the way a pair of scissors close). Then move legs back apart and then into the middle again, this time with the other leg crossing on top. Continue moving your legs in and out, alternating which leg is on top.
- Knee to Elbows Plank: Begin in a straight-arm plank position. Drive one knee up towards the elbow on the same side of your body, like you would in a mountain climber, then return the leg to straight behind you. Next, drive the same knee diagonally across your body towards the opposite elbow, then return to straight again. This is the end of one rep. Do a full set on one leg before switching to the other.