Normally I don’t do workouts that focus on just one main area of the body, but today I decided to share a workout that is glute and leg focused. I’ve recently had a number of people at work asking me what they should be doing to tone and shape their booty. Since it is the season of “suns out, buns out” I figured I would compile a list of exercises that focus on the glutes and muscles around them to help you feel confident rocking those bikini bottoms. This is a quick and easy workout that can be done almost anywhere and will leave your behind feeling the burn!
- Squat with leg kickback: start by bending down into a low squat. When you come up kick one leg out behind you then squat back down and repeat, alternating legs.
- Step up: using a chair, bench, step, etc. put one foot on top and step up, bringing your other knee up to a 90 degree angle. Step back down and switch legs.
- Resistance band walking squat: wrap a resistance band around your thighs a few inches above the knee, holding on to each loose end. Bend down with knees close together into a half squat position, then take one large step to the right side while staying low. Bring your left foot back towards your right to complete one rep. Then do the same thing going back to the left. Continue alternating side to side.
- Glute bridges: start lying on the ground with your knees bent and feet on the floor. Lift your hips up off the ground and squeeze your glutes so your torso is in a straight line with your thighs. Hold this position for 3-5 seconds and then lower back down.
- Single Leg glute bridges: start in the same position as a regular glute bridge, but raise one leg straight into the air. Lift your hips off the ground until your torso is flat, while keeping your other leg straight in the air, holding 3-5 seconds and then lowering back down.
- Fire hydrant kickbacks: start on your hands and knees, then lift one leg out to the side keeping the knee bent. From this position, extend your leg straight back behind you, then bring it back to the bent position. Continue kicking out and bringing the knee back, trying to keep your foot parallel to the floor.
- Side leg lifts: Lie down on one side, resting on your elbow or arm. Lift your top leg straight up into the air then bring it back down to touch your other leg.
- Clam shells: Lie on your side with knees bent, resting on your elbow or arm. Keeping your feet together, open your knees by bringing your top leg up, then close them back together (like the way a clam shell opens and closes).